Vodpod videos no longer available.
‘One of the most mysterious texts ever written gives detailed instructions for confronting the devil‘
BEHIND THE CODEX GIGAS
Filled with satanic images and demonic spells, the cursed text, according to legend, sprang from a doomed monk’s pact with the devil. What else do we know about this mysterious Devil’s Bible?
- The Devil’s Bible is so huge that it requires at least two people to carry it.
- Once considered the eighth wonder of the world, the Codex Gigas stretches three feet long and weighs a hundred and sixty-five pounds.
- It is the only book that places the Old and New Testaments alongside violent, holy incantations.
- The Codex Gigas contains one full page – right opposite the devil portrait – of a towering Heavenly City. Although no people can be seen in the Heavenly City, it is a symbol of hope and salvation, a contrast to the portrait of the devil on the opposing page.
- The Codex Gigas includes mystical medical formulas for anything from treating ailments such as fevers and epilepsy to resolving practical problems such as finding a thief.
- The book’s transfer to Prague in 2008 took a year of planning. It was insured for $15.1 million during the transfer.
- The Devil’s Bible has 600 pages, which is 310 parchment leaves, all made from donkey skins.